Friday 29 March 2013

Similan Islands Part 1

Ok. I promised that I will write about our Similan Islands trip that we did in Thailand. Sorry for a bit late. We just got back from Thailand and the jet lag hit us really hard. Specially our daughter woke up during a night from 1 to 5 am just want to play!

Anyway, let me explain to you about Similan Island.

Similan Islands is a group of islands in the Andaman sea, southern Thailand. They located in Phang Nga province. It is a national park of Thailand.

The park is an archipelago consisting of nine islands named Koh Bon, Koh Bayu, Koh Similan, Koh Payu, Koh Miang, Koh Payan, Koh Payang and Koh Huyong. Recently, the park had included two more islands named Koh Bon and Koh Tachai.

Similan is a Yawi word which means "nine". Similan is one of the most famous diving sites in Thailand, and what I am really excited to tell you is it is noted as one of the top ten dive destinations in the world according to the National Geographic Society.

Similan Island is in my bucket list that one day I have to go there. I know, I am Thai but I just had my first chance to go there when I am 31 years old.

 We have to take speed boat to Island no. 4 before we got on our hotel on that night.

Since this is a national park so there are no hotels on the island. But the government did build Bangalows on Island no. 4. Let me put it in the easy way. The islands is protected by the Thai government, so the government built bangalows on Island no.4. And put tents site on Island no. 4 and Island no. 8. You are not allowed to bring your own tent (s).

From what I have heard so far, if you stay in the tent, it will be really hot and muggy during the night. There are many bats decided to have their homes on the trees above the tent site and they start making noise since 3 am. You also can smell their poo as well.

The bangalows are better than the tent. But you have to climb up a few hundred stairs with your luggage. So that is not really easy. I am not sure if they have AC or only fan in the room.

They usually cut off the power from 6 pm to 6 am in the morning. So you have no TV or any electricity to use during the night. I also heard that mosquitoes are really bad on the island as well.

Sounds like it is pretty tough. But the beaches are really beautiful. The water is so blue and sand is really white. It is breath taking. There are fish swimming around you when you swim in the sea. It is pretty cool.


The secret that I want to tell you is we didn't stay on the island but we stayed over night on the boat. We have no problem about mosquitoes and power. The only thing that we feel uncomfortable in the first night is the noise. Because they have to leave the dynamo running all night so we all can have the power and AC. The second we got used to it and didn't find it bug us at all.

Our hotel boat.

The package we bought is all-inclusive. 

 Meal cooked on board.


View from our window which change all the time. lol

The next post we will show you more pictures and how beautiful the sea is. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...